SRS water Bureau is committed to provide an access to a clean water to Somali regional community and gain access to safe water, improved sanitation and hygiene practices, as they form the first pillars towards health and wellbeing of human people and families.
What is happening?
- Nearly 39 million Ethiopians, most of them in the rural areas, do not have access to safe water supply.
- Close to 48 million Ethiopians lack access to basic sanitation
- Diarrhea is the leading cause of under -5 mortality in Ethiopia, causing 23% of all under- 5 deaths (73,341 children per year).
- Poor sanitation, lack of access to clean water supply and inadequate personal hygiene are responsible for 90% of diarrheal disease occurrence.
- An estimated 64,540 children could be saved every year by improving Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in the country.
- Millions of people are subjected to WASH-related diseases as a result of recurrent droughts and health emergencies resulting from poor sanitation and hygiene.